Child Tax Credit Contact Number: 0845 300 3900

Phone the Child Tax Credit helpline on 0845 300 3900 to discuss a present or prospective claim.

If you are responsible for caring for a child, then you may just be eligible for a Child Tax Credit. A child, as defined here, must be under 16 years of age or under 20 in special circumstances like if her or she were enrolled in an HMRC-approved training or education course. You can check your eligibility for the benefit by filling in the form here:

With this form, you can calculate how much tax credit you are entitled to. A good thing to remember here, is that you don’t need to be currently working to be eligible. Also, if the parents are separated, only one of the parents or household can receive a Child Tax Credit for that child.

If you wish to make a claim, first you need to order a claim form. You can do so by filling in the form found here:

(Just click on “Start now” and answer the questions truthfully.) If you prefer, you can also contact them at 0345 300 3900 on the telephone, 0345 300 3909 on the Minicom or textphone and +44 2890 538 192 if you’re calling abroad. You typically have to wait about 2 weeks before the form arrives. The processing time of a new claim will take up to 5 weeks from the receipt of your claim; this is on top of the 2 weeks waiting for the form to arrive. The above mentioned numbers are also the contact details for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs if you want to make general enquiries regarding the Child Tax Credit. If you’re already an existing tax credit beneficiary, then you no longer need to order a claim form; instead, you can just call them and inform them that you need to update your information or your claim.

You can also order the new tax credit claim form via post by writing to:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office,
L75 1AZ,
United Kingdom.

The Child Tax Credit needs to be renewed every year, so you need to write to them at the following address to ask for the Tax Credit renewal forms:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office,
Comben House,
Farriers Way,
L75 1AX,
United Kingdom.

If you want to complain about the service you received or the entire process in general or if you want to change a circumstance that affects your benefit, then please write to:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office,
PR1 4AT,
United Kingdom.

Indicate on the top of your letter, why you are writing by writing “Complaint” or “Change of Circumstances”.